Karen Chapman | , , , || By
The objectives of adaptive gardening:
- To raise awareness of adaptive techniques that enable gardeners to re-think how and when they garden for greater ease.
- To describe ways gardens can be changed or modified to ensure the safety and comfort of the gardener.
- To modify favorite tools to increase their usability or to replace them with more ergonomic options.
How this book is writtenTo that end, The Lifelong Gardener is divided into three sections: You & Your Body, Your Garden, and Your Tools, each containing a wealth of tips, juicy photos, and practical advice. Here are a few of my favorite nuggets:
- Take cues from someone who is already resilient and start a conversation with them. Ask them how they got past their health issues. Let go of negative people, and make room for positive ones in your life. (Emphasis mine!)
- Carry your cell phone with you when you're in the garden, just in case.
- Wear a back brace to remind you of your back so you don't do something you're not supposed to do. (Emphasis mine – if I could add an eye roll emoji I would!)
- Add secure latches that are easy to open and close, especially if you have arthritis or decreased muscle strength in your hands (I would add to this – place the latches where you can reach them without over-stretching your shoulder. I can't tell you how many clients have tall gates that I virtually have to stand on tiptoe to reach over the top in order to release the latch!)
What are you waiting for?Frankly I think you should stop reading and order a copy for yourself, your parents, and your neighbors – and keep a spare one to give as a hostess gift over the Holidays. I wasn't expecting to be so impressed – but I am. And to be honest I'm not sure that I want to give away my review copy – but I will. Here's how to win:
Enter to Win a CopyLeave a comment below telling me why you would like to win The Lifelong Gardener (Timber Press, 2019). One winner will be drawn on Sunday November 24th 2019, 8pm PDT, by a random number generator and notified by email.
Rules (aka the not-so-small-print)
- Only USA residents may enter to win (sorry!)
- The winner has 48 hours to respond after which time a new name will be drawn.
- Only comments left in this thread will be included in the drawing. Comments on images or on social media will not be entered.
All images courtesy of author and Timber Press
Disclaimer ; this post contains affiliate links
Welcome to My Garden Adventures
I'm a serious plant-aholic. In other words I'm usually covered in a layer or two of soil, I drive everywhere with a large tarp for impromptu plant purchases and I'm truly passionate about sharing the joys of gardening.